Dr. Tony Downs has been a consultant dermatologist since 2000. He has held NHS consultant posts in Exeter & Taunton.
For over a decade he was the Exeter skin cancer lead clinician and regional MDT chairman for advanced skin cancer management. During his time in Exeter he took over and developed the pigmented lesion clinic training local GPs and junior staff in identifying and managing skin cancer. He has published and continues to publish academic work on skin cancer and has a national and international reputation for dermoscopy (the art of melanoma diagnosis).
He has provided a regional skin laser service in Devon for over 15 yrs. Initially at the Exeter Nuffield before establishing the Medical Laser service at Exeter Medical as clinical director in 2007.
More recently in 2014 he established a second laser unit for London based patients at the London Skin and Hair Clinic near Harley Street. After graduating from Guys Hospital, University of London, with both BSc (Hons) in Experimental Pathology and his medical degree (MBBS), his dermatology training was at the University of Bristol Dermatology unit.
As a trainee and as a consultant he has published extensively in variety of specialist fields including skin lasers, psoriasis, acne, dermoscopy, and dermatitis. He has contributed to national and international clinical trials as a researcher and remains an Honorary Research Associate at the University of Bristol.
He remains active in training nurses, GPs, dermatology trainees and other dermatology consultants at local, regional, national and international levels, particularly in skin cancer diagnosis and skin surgery, skin laser treatment and psoriasis management.
He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians; a member of the British Association of Dermatologists and British Society of Dermatological Surgeons; a member of the European Academy of DermatoVenereology and American Academy of Dermatology; a member of the British Medical Laser Association, International Dermoscopy Society and British Cosmetic Dermatology Group.
He continues to see NHS and private patients in Devon and Cornwall for general dermatology, cosmetic and skin cancer concerns.
In 2014 he moved from the Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Trust hospital and took the opportunity to use his experience to support the national development of NHS community dermatology services across UK as clinical lead until 2020.
Dr. Anthony Downs' Private Practice
Duchy Hospital, TRURO, Cornwall
8:30am - 5:00pm
Call 07932 214983
TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS
Exeter Medical, EXETER, Devon
9:00am - 6:00pm
Call 07838 293968
Medical Eye Centre, EXETER, Devon
9:00am - 5:00pm
Call 07838 293968
Mount Stuart hospital, TORQUAY, Devon
2:00pm - 6:00pm
Call 07838 293968
To book an appointment in Exeter or Torquay call Ros on 07838 293968 or email email@example.com
To book an appointment in Truro call Angela on 07932 214983 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For appointments regarding, general dermatology, skin cancer and allergies; a GP referral letter is preferred. A consultation with your GP is not always necessary to obtain this.
For appointments regarding mole checks and cosmetic concerns of the skin, IPL treatments, microsclerotherapy and follow-up consultations, a GP letter is not normally required.
You can upload images to illustrate your concern about a skin problem and Dr. Downs will get back to you.
Skin Cancer Professional Experience
- Skin cancer regional MDT chairman and skin cancer lead clinician 2004-2014
- Pigmented Lesion Clinic consultant RD&E hospital, Exeter 2003-2014
- Skin cancer surgeon for minor and complex lesions 1995 to date
- Clinical governance lead for GPSI in medical & surgical dermatology for Devon 2008-2014
Research collaborator in:
- Ingenol mebutate actinic keratosis clinical trial 2011-2013
- Ingenol mebutate long-term SCC risk clinical trial 2013-2014
- COMBI melanoma stage 3 monoclonal antibody clinical trial 2013-2014
- National and regional dermoscopy trainer for other dermatologists, GPs, dermatology trainees and nurse
- Member of the British Society of Dermatological Surgeons
- Member of the International Dermoscopy Society
Medical Publications by Dr Downs:
Dr. Downs has over 100 medical publications in peer-reviewed journals. These can be viewed on his CV.
Professional Experience in Lasers and IPLs
Consultant dermatologists managing medical, surgical and cosmetic skin problems since 2000. Director of the South West Skin Laser Centre, Nuffield Hospital, Exeter. 2001-08. This was the former regional NHS skin laser treatment centre. Clinical Director of Medical Lasers at Exeter Medical 2008-date Combined laser (non-ablative & ablative) and IPL service for NHS (Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Dorset) & private patients including children. Lead laser clinician at London Skin & Hair Clinic 2014-date Combined laser (non-ablative & ablative) and IPL service for private patients. Member of the British Medical Laser Association Member of the European Laser Association Member of the British Cosmetic Dermatology Group.
- Downs AMR, Bower CB, Oliver DA, Stone CA. Methyl aminolevulinate-photodynamic therapy for actinic keratoses, squamous cell carcinoma in situ and superficial basal cell carcinoma employing a square wave intense pulsed light device for photoactivation. Br J Dermatol 2009; 161:189-190.
- Downs AMR Laser treatment in the Management of acne. International Laser Handbook 2005
- Downs AMR Treatment of hirsuitism and hypertrichosis Pulse May 2005
- Downs AMR Pitfalls in treating facial cosmetic lesions Body language 2009 (April)
- Downs AMR Dermoscopy for diagnosing skin lesions MIMS Autumn 2009
- Vesey E, Downs AMR. An adverse reaction to non-laser tattoo removal. Br J Dermatol 2004; 150:770-1.
- Downs AMR. Smoothbeam laser treatment may help improve hidradenitis suppurativa but not Hailey-Hailey disease. J Cosmet Laser Ther 2004; 6:1-2.
- McGrath E, Downs AMR.. The living canvas. Br J Dermatol 2004; 151(S68): 64.
- McGrath E, Downs AMR. Complications of laser treatment. EADV London 2005
- Divekar P, Palmer J, Downs AMR Hypertrichosis following CO2 laser treatment. EADV, Rhodes, October 2006
- Downs AMR. The treatment of inflammatory acne with lasers. British Skin Laser Study Group, Glasgow, May 2004.
- McGrath E, Downs AMR. Carbon tattoos in venous pattern complicating intravenous drug use: successful treatment with Nd:Yag laser. British Skin Laser Study Group, Epsom, May 2005.
- McGrath E, Downs AMR. Prolonged post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation following laser treatment: two illustrative cases. British Skin Laser Study Group, Epsom, May 2005.
- Mehta A, Downs AMR. Facial blood vessels treated with the long pulsed alexandrite laser, British Study Laser Group, Exeter, May 2006
- Mehta A, Downs AMR. Pigmented lesions treated with the long pulsed alexandrite laser, British Study Laser Group, Exeter, May 2006
- Downs AMR, Palmer J. CO2 laser treatment for facial congenital melanocytic naevi. British Laser Medical Association, Manchester, June 2007.
- Downs AMR. Diagnosing pigmented lesions on the face. British Laser Medical Association, Manchester, June 2007
- Downs AMR. What not to laser. Medical Aesthetics Today, Birmingham May 2008
- Downs TA, Stone CA, Downs AMR Intense Pulsed (IPL) hair removal to prevent pilonidal sinus disease (PND). AAD 2016 Washington.
- Downs AMR, Rickard A, Palmer J. Laser treatment of benign pigmented lesions in children - effective long-term benefits of the Q-switched fd Nd:YAG and LP Alexandrite lasers.
- Pediatr Dermatol 2004; 21:88-90
- Downs AMR, Palmer J. Hair removal laser for the treatment of pilonidal sinus disease. J Cosmetic Laser Ther 2002; 4:91
- Downs AMR, Bower CB, Oliver DA, Stone CA. Methyl aminolevulinate-photodynamic therapy for actinic keratoses, squamous cell carcinoma in situ and superficial basal cell carcinoma employing a square wave intense pulsed light device for photoactivation. Br J Dermatol 2009; 161:189-190
To book a consultation with Dr. Tony Downs call Ros today on 07838 293968 or use our online form.